About Studio Babiana
Babiana is a small design and sewing studio dedicated to creating clothes with a conscience. All the products are environment-friendly and made of upcycled materials- industrial textile waste and already existing clothing is the base material for creating our items. All the items are handmade according to how we receive or find materials.
We know that we can`t change the world tomorrow, but it is Babiana`s priority to contribute to the production that doesn't create more waste. Please read the story about how it all started here.
- All the products are made of upcycled textiles, this method makes our clothing sustainable and nature friendly.
- All the products are child-friendly. Materials like cotton, linen, silk, ramie, wool and all the fibre blends and combinations of these materials are mild and soft to child’s gentle skin. Sometimes, we might use natural materials mixed with a little percentage of polyester or another synthetical fibre, the composition of materials is marked inside every item.
- In addition to the material, the second important feature of every product is the pattern. Every garment is designed in the way, that it would be easy for a child to dress and undress independently. Dresses for younger children, we use studs. For bigger children, in addition to studs, we use custom made buttons as well.
- Every textile is separately handpicked and checked very carefully. After choosing process, all the textiles will go through a burning test to be sure of the composition of the fabric followed by a careful wash/care and then production.
- Every textile is unique, this makes every product unique. Very often materials are limited, according to the amount of material, we choose the size of the item to sew. If you don't find a suitable size for your child, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org. The garment with a suitable size might be in the process of making.
- Every product has a unique name after the animal, plant, insect, bird or tree what is already extinct
or is the threat of extinction. With this, we would like to raise awareness of the results of human activity and its consequences. The textile industry is one of the most fatal industries for the well-being of nature!
- Our product labels are made by very talented Maria Välja Art. On these labels, you can see and read the story about one of the most mistreated souls in textile industries- merino lamb and silkworms. Babiana labels are not just labels, but the beautiful original art you can keep, frame and hung on the wall. It's a nice read for an adult and a child as well.
What is upcycling?
Upcycling, also known as creative reuse, is the process of transforming by-products, waste materials, useless or unwanted products into new materials or products of better quality and environmental value. The finished product often becomes more practical, valuable and beautiful than what it previously was.
Why choose upcycled clothing?
- The first and most important reason is the environment. Upcycling reduces the amount of waste that is dumped in the landfills. Some waste materials contain dangerous chemicals, which can cause soil degradation. If these chemicals find their way to water bodies, they cause water pollution. Upcycling provides an environment-friendly alternative of dealing with such waste.
- Upcycling puts into practice a more circular economy model. A Circular Economy is where resources are used for as long as possible, getting the most value out of them while in use, then restored and repurposed when their use is over.
- Upcycle eliminates the need to use fresh raw materials to manufacture new products. If you are buying a new product, the industry will produce a substitute. The planet is already running dangerously low on natural resources so it’s a huge help on the environment when people use old items to create new items. Choosing an upcycled product instead of buying a new one you are giving a chance to nature and the environment!
- Behind every upcycled product, there is a maker who strongly believes in a level of craftsmanship. We have seen decades of mass-produced items that come off the production line duplicated in their thousands. Upcycled products celebrate people who love making handmade things, it encourages creativity that benefits both the environment and society. And most important, every item is unique
- Upcycling supports small local businesses and craftsmen, however, you don’t just have to purchase upcycled items in your local community. Depending on where you purchased upcycled products from, you are supporting people from different communities all over the world.
Babiana got its name from a little flower Babiana Blanda. The name of the genus Babiana is derived from the Dutch word baviaantje, meaning small baboon. This species was considered to be extinct known only from a few herbarium specimens collected in the 1940s to 1960s . The reason for extinction is habitat loss owing to urbanisation and transformation to agriculture. Even though little populations of these beautiful flowers are found in 2006, further searches have now revealed that there are two populations remaining, total around 2500 individuals. The survival of this species is still endangered, this species is critically endangered on the Red List.
This beautiful rare flower has been a true inspiration in the creation of Babiana. Small and fragile, yet very persistent. One of the kind :)